H1N1 Flu Virus Prevention and Treatment
Symptoms of H1N1
- Similar to seasonal influenza (flu) including: headache, chills and cough followed by fever, loss of appetite, muscle aches and fatigue, runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes and throat irritation.
- In some cases nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may occur in adults as well as in children.
- In more severe cases, or in people with chronic conditions, complications such as pneumonia may develop.
Support your immune system
- Be an early bird – book a prevention appointment with your Naturopathic Doctor to prepare for flu season
- Food – eating a diet high in essential fats, complex carbohydrates and plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Hands off – avoid touching your face. Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly.
- Get a full night's sleep – rest regenerates your body. Make your health a priority.
- Keeping your barrier intact – mucous membranes (such as the lining of nose) must be moist. Check how work your humidifiers at home and at work.
- Prophylaxis – with direct delivery aerosols of natural remedies into upper respiratory tracts nose, mouth and lungs.
If you do start to feel sick
- Less and light eating helps your body use its energy to fight the virus rather than on digestion. Avoid sugar because it lowers your immune system and dairy products they increase mucous production.
- Drink up. Keep well hydrated with water, tea, vegetable broths and diluted juices, while limiting dehydrating fluids like alcohol and coffee.
- Sleep it off. Your body is working overtime when fighting a virus. Plenty of good rest is essential as your body is able to focus energy on defense mechanisms while you sleep.
- Immune-supporting natural remedies vitamins (A, C, D, E), minerals (Ca, Zn), herbs (Echinacea) and homeopathics will help you to support immune system and relieve symptoms.
- Parenteral therapy – more advanced technique that can be done by specially trained professional or ND only in clinic environment. It is delivery of natural remedies directly into blood vessels and will boost immune system, prevent decease or faster recovery if you are already sick.
If you are experiencing these symptoms you should immediately contact your health care provider, including your Naturopathic Doctor (ND), or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.
A Naturopathic Doctor can help you support your immune system with a natural approach to health. A strong immune system not only reduces the risk of getting sick, but may also reduce the severity of illness if you do get sick.
Stay in Good Health with Us!
Dr. Liudmyla Gerus, ND
Doctor of Natural Medicine
FightFlu.ca: Public Health Agency of Canada: Information on Human H1N1 Flu Virus
oand.org: Naturopathic Doctors Can Help Find Out How: Prevention and Treatment of H1N1 Flu Virus